Monday, January 4, 2010

29. Driving Recklessly

R.I.P. by IceBone made available under Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.0 Generic License

"What's going on in broader cultural environment that suggests driving recklessly and dangerously is cool and manly?" Jackson Katz enquires. One of the numerous issues he mentions in Tough Guise 2 is the driving attitude of men, although discussed briefly. I didn't scrutinize his resources really but he claims that statistically men cause much more drinking and driving accidents than women (86% to 14%). On the other hand, I very often hear men blaming and mocking women for their lack of driving and parking talent, but when you have the Ricky Martin driving example to follow as a man, you prove you lack much more important things than driving talent, and may experience really unfortunate incidents.

Please, please follow the link to see IceBone's comments about the accident. Bruised ego? Shit. That's what Jackson Katz is talking about.

Btw, happy 2010 everyone!

2 comments:

  1. oh my word...his comments are really something. "I'm cool." Duh! I crashed my car when I was 17, it looked a bit like that. My dad took a photo and I could hardly look at it. Imagine putting it on Flickr for everyone to gawp at!

    Here are some statistics, from a report by the AAA on aggressive driving:

    "Of the 10,037 aggressive driving incidents reviewed for this study, only 413 involved females as perpetrators."

    But the report itself is pretty scary. It might make you want to stay off the roads in America!

    http://www.aaafoundation.org/resources/index.cfm?button=agdrtext

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Welcome back ;) - you are truly irrepressible!)

    ReplyDelete