Monday, January 4, 2010

30. Spin the Bottle

It was nice to see that Katz finished off his video documentary Tough Guise with suggestions and hope. I think those suggestions were strong and tough (yes) ones, and were probably hard for some to accept and apply immediately to real life.

I thought he had to go further, that Tough Guise couldn't be his only effort, and that he should not be alone in "educating" people. So I made a quick research about his other works and found quite an interesting one (he had others as well of course), although not directly relevanto to gender: "Spin the Bottle: Sex, Lies & Alcohol". The more interesting part is that Jackson Katz and Jane Kilbourne worked together on this documentary! Forces in unison!

I watched the trailer and figured its relevance to the gender issue and to the advertisement problem. I could write until morning about drinking and how it effects boys and girls as I had the opportunity to observe them for millions of times, but not here.

For the interested parties, here's the link of the trailer.

2 comments:

  1. That looks really good...I could have been the poster child for that film (groan). The only difference was, I refused to hang out with those idiotic frat f***s and sorority sl**s; I went to exactly one of those parties my Freshman year and was nearly crushed against the wall of a staircase by drunken bodies...after that, I drank in my dorm! Lots and lots of rapes result from those parties, it's a huge problem on American university campuses. Many universities are even known as 'party schools; mine was sort of one of these. The worst part is that these frat rats are given carte blanche by the university since they often do some kind of bogus charity work and sell credit cards and crap like that in order to fund their alcoholic ventures. Useless scum if you ask me.

    It seems the IC doesn't have this documentary, so I will try to order it! Thanks for the recommendation...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you want to outdo me, Beri? Just one more post? Your presentation self-evaluation? I'm waiting for your name to pop up on top one more time... :-D

    ReplyDelete